Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Choice ( a serial work of fiction) Part 13

The ride back to the house seemed shorter than the ride had been to Duncan's. I noticed that I was very aware of time when ever my uncle and I were together. That the minutes scurried across my skin like spiders.
We both started to talk at the same time.

" This is more complicated than I had thought that it would be."

"How long have you known Elizabeth? "

Deep breath. "That's right , boyo, stall, stall ,stall" I thought .

" So is it too complicated for you ? Too complicated for me to stay? " I peered at his dashboard green tinged face.

" No, I still think that we can make it work."

I thought of the issues raised at Duncan's. " So how do we go about finding a house keeper that won't blackmail us?"

" I think that we had better start with going through that list of houses that you drew up last week. Can you start calling and make appointments for us to see them?"

"Starting when?"

"Tommorrow afternoon" He reached into his pocket and handed me a cell phone. " My number is programmed in there. " I looked at the phone. It was a disposable. "There are about 300 mins in there. I figured it was better than having anyone track us through bills. You might want to call Maria as well. Let her know that you are okay but don't worry her. No specifics. "

I dropped the phone into my pocketbook.

"Duncan's number is on this card. Memorize it but do not program it in. ANYTHING weird- or you do not hear from me after we have set up a time to meet- Call him from a public phone not the cell. "

"Then what, do I eat it ?"

" Tear it up and flush it down the toilet."

I look astonished at my uncle. I returned my glance briefly. " I mean it- ANYTHING changes. Call there first then me to tell me how it is being handled. There are people at Duncan's to manage these things. Hopefully ,we also will get to a place where we can depend more on ourselves."

We pulled into the darkened driveway. My uncle led me out of the car and to the porch. He entered the house first, as he had done the day that we had arrived ,snapping on lights here and there. He called me to come in. I followed quietly , going into the kitchen to make some tea. I placed the classified by my cup .

" Can you come here , please? "

My uncle moved unnervingly fast next to my elbow. " Which ones should I call?"

He looked seriou for a moment, then circled about five listings.

" Make them as late in the day as possible," he explained "early eveing is better still." I nodded as he circled the ones that he thought to be the best. " Choose in the order that you think you would like - pay attention to information about schools and stores. You are going to need both. What are your options for public transit - you know the routine." Looking up , he noticed tha tthe sky was lightening gently.
" How thoughtless of me! I have kept you up all night talking about our new fascinating lives. Get some sleep and leave me the information about the houses on the phone. "

I sipped my tea as his cool lips brushed my cheek. Tommorrow , I would have my work cut out for me. Tonight , I felt like ELiza Dolittle- I could have danced all night. What was this strange shadow world into which I was going? I had a feeling that I would soon find out.

No comments: