Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sorry That I Hurt Your Feelings

Yesterday , I got a crit and as diplomatic and encouraging as I try to be as the critter, I think that I hurt her feelings . I had specifically requested a character and story study not corrections in grammer and punctuation, to be the discussed. I am sure that she thought that she was being helpful. She didn't follow the instructions on what I was seeking. ( I admit my inner Huntress is a school teacher).

I have had some very good critters able to constructively without having read the previous chapters . But yesterday,a young woman walked in at Chapter 5 , then critted that I had not built my characters. Hello, yes , I did -its called Chapters 1-4. As one of the themes of the WIP is how Arina changes even after Changed, of course she is not who she was in Chapter 1. Some of the changes are subtle- especially if it deals with her attitude toward Humans. The critter told me that " she did not understand Arina." She also is suffering from that most dread of vampire fiction diseases ,TS (Twilight Syndrome). Unlike Meyer's vamps , mine are hardworking predators who are not adoring of their prey. She asked me why they feed from Humans and sometimes killed them. I told her because it was necessary and often pleasurable. They think that the sole purpose of Humans is to be a "menu item". Other than that, they are very nice people. They view their position in the Human world more as Diane Fosse, Margaret Meade or Jane Goodall. Their need for the information is to prevent starvation. It was not the answer that she wanted. The question grated on my nerves,sort of cousin to someone asking Robert Bloch why Norman Bates did not have many repeat customers. It was such a cute little motel on the edge of town. They are good stewards of the herd, do not overbreed themselves(they have live birth) , responsible in most of their actions, keep the fact of their existence secret. It is not a YA novel.

I really don't understand the we are all special attitude of the young men and women today. I once had a critter who felt badly for a horsefly that Arina's uncle with a dishtowel in Chapter 1. I did not know that horseflies were an endangered species. She did write me back as I graded her crit somewhat helpful- I give a lot of very helpfuls and perfects. I spend time finetooth combing my crits as I rewrite.

The critter wrote me back , unhappy with her grade.  She was only trying to help. I did answer her that I would be more than happy to discuss her questions after she had read Chapters 1-4  as well, I think that would answer most of her questions. I did not change my position on the subject matter but I did soften my tone ( and I had always been respectful and polite ).

After all, she didn't know that I had just spent an hour bailing sewer water (backed up into my bathroom sink) emailed the landlord and did not get a response , my boss self sabotaged and cost our department six markets and I have no idea how I will afford going to MA for a week if there are no commissions to be made and my father is holding on , hoping that I will get there this summer(he has been really ill) . They are selling the house after 41 years ,going to Assisted Living, And I got a note from the landlord at the message center outside my door , that there was an odor coming from the apartment-probably from the backed up sewer water,which had not been there when I left.  She is not responsible for that pressure.

No, my disagreement was with  failure to follow instructions . I am hoping that I didn't scare her away from critting, I think that she is moderately young. I told her that I appreciated anyone taking the time to read my work. And I do appreciate it. But correcting grammer is the easy part. I want to know if you relate to these people at least on a casual basis , not knowing their darker halves. Do you think that the window dressing is firmly in place? Would they look the same as everyone else to you? Instead she quoted me from books on writing. But her comments were out of context not knowing the build up or even the names of the other characters. And I found that offensive.

3 comments:

Garry G. said...

You don’t just get that with Novel chapters; I posted a short story (around 9K) in three parts for critique, and got a fair few ‘the story isn’t finished’ and ‘the story doesn’t make sense’ comments….

Well, duh!


Yes I clearly stated: ‘this is only part of a short story not a chapter’ and this is part 1 of 3, 2 of 3 etc…

Generally I just try to take what I can from what each person gives me, although the critique wasn’t what you wanted, it may still be useful later on, yes?

shelly said...

What I hate about critiques is when someone rewrites your stuff in another voice. Drives me batty.

For the most part, I listen to the critiquers and consider what they have to say. Usually, I have a few sentences where garbage cans are squeezing their arses out of tiny windows. Or, a problem shifting from one POV to another.

Right now, I'm finished with the first novel but going through a major critique. Thought I found holes but they're more like enormous empty dams. Too many gigantic valleys that need to be filled in. This is my own observation.

SueW said...

Thank you both for your comments.
Shelly, like you , I am running the entire novel through crit . I am getting some really good pointers for the most part.